lower right on back of chair: R. Ribera '76
(Goupil et Cie, Paris), as Concert Populaire; sold 7 March 1876 to William H. Stewart [1820-1897], Paris and Philadelphia; (his estate sale, American Art Association, New York, 3-4 February 1898, 1st day, no. 14, as Café Chantant); William Andrews Clark [1839-1888], New York; bequest April 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Universal Exhibition, Paris, 1878, no. 105, as Café chantant.
- The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April - 16 July 1978.
- That's Entertainment, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 13 July - 24 August 1980, no. 33, as Café Chantant, unpublished checklist.
- Prelude to Spanish Modernism: Fortuny to Picasso, Albuquerque Musuem; Meadows Museum, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, 21 August 2005 - 26 February 2006, no. 4, repro., as Café chantant/Popular Concert.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Unpublished manuscript, 1925: 162, no. 144, as by Jusepe de Ribera.