lower right: E. J.
Estate of the artist; (his estate sale, American Art Galleries, New York, 26-27 February 1907, no. 129). Mrs. E. W. McMahon, Pelham, New York; purchased May 1962 by (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, Inc., New York); purchased 27 March 1963 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October-29 December 1963, unpublished checklist, as The Shelter.
- Exhibition of 19th Century American Landscape Painting, The Committee on House Administration of the United States House of Representatives, Washington, 31 January-31 March 1977, as The Shelter.
- Themes in American Painting, Grand Rapids Art Museum, 1 October-30 November 1977, no. 40, repro., as The Shelter.
- Inaugural Exhibition: The Seven Ages of Man, London Regional Art Gallery, Ontario, 3 May-15 June 1980, unnumbered cat., repro., as The Shelter.
- Snow Show, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, 18 January-16 March 1980, no. 46, as The Shelter.
- Sugaring Off: The Maple Sugar Paintings of Eastman Johnson, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts; Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, California, 2004, repro., as The Shelter.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 304, repro.