lower left: Elihu Vedder / Rome 1879
(Williams and Everett's Gallery, Boston); purchased April 1880 by J.G. Blake, Boston. acquired 1959 by (Vose Galleries of Boston, Inc); purchased April 1959 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Pictures, Sketches of Pictures, and Studies by Elihu Vedder, Williams and Everett's Gallery, Boston, 26 March - 8 April 1880, no. 4.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October - 29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- The American Genius, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 24 January - 4 April 1976, unnumbered catalogue.
- Perceptions and Evocations: The Art of Elihu Vedder, National Collection of Fine Arts, Washington; Brooklyn Museum, 13 October 1978 - 9 July 1979, no. 288.
- The Lure of Italy: American Artists and The Italian Experience 1760-1914, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Cleveland Museum of Art; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 16 September 1992 - 8 August 1993, no. 96, repro.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 139, repro.
- Soria, Regina. Elihu Vedder: American Visionary Artist in Rome (1836-1923). Rutherford, New Jersey: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 1970, p. 144.
- Soria, Regina, ed. Perceptions and Evocations: The Art of Elihu Vedder. Washington, D.C., 1979: 189, no. 238.
- Boime, Albert. Thomas Couture and the Eclectic Vision. New Haven, 1980: 603.
- Cash, Sarah, and Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of The Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 108, repro.
- Elderedge, Charles C. Tales from the Easel: American Narrative Paintings from Southeastern Museums circa 1800-1950. Athens, GA, 2004: 59, fig. 33.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art : American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 322, repro.