lower left: Norman Rockwell - 1916
Frank B. Hand, Jr. [1914-1992], Herndon, Virginia, and Washington; gift 6 December 1965 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The Railroad in American Art, Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, Maryland, 1968, no. 34.
- Norman Rockwell Retrospective, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, 13 July - 9 September 1973.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Catholic University, Washington, c. 1981.
- The Artist as Illustrator, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 31 March - 14 June 1981, unpublished checklist, no. 27.
- Extended loan for use by William French Smith, Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, 1984-1985.
- Extended loan for use by Joshua Bolten, Director, Office of Management and Budget, Old Executive Office Building, Washington, 2004-2009.
- Josephson, Julien. "Norton Wins." St. Nicholas 44, no. 3 (March 1917): 429, repro.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 2: Painters born from 1850 to 1910. Washington, 1973: 143.
- Moline, Mary. Norman Rockwell Encyclopedia: A Chronlogical Catalog of the Artist's Work, 1910-1978. Indianapolis, 1979: 111, as Norton Wins.
- Moffatt, Laurie Norton. Norman Rockwell: A Definitive Catalogue. 2 vols. Stockbridge, Massachusetts, 1986: 2:748-749, repro., as Norton Wins 'Ralph made a desperate flying leap into the demolished cab'.