(Kennedy Galleries, New York), in 1960; purchased 1961 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan for display at The White House, Washington, 1961-1963..
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1963, unpublished checklist.
- Fitz Hugh Lane, 1804-1865, American Marine Painting, Essex Institute, Salem, Massachusetts, 1964, no. 50.
- Loan for display at The White House, Washington, 1964-1965.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, unpublished checklist.
- American Marine Painting and Ship Portraits of the 19th Century, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, 1970, no. 29.
- Corcoran [The American Genuis], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1976, no checklist.
- American Luminism, Adams Davidson Galleries, Washington, 1980, no. 16.
- The Rockets' Red Glare: An 1812 History, Heritage Plantation of Sandwich [Maine], 1983, no catalogue.
- The American Seascape from John Smibert to John Marin, Mansfield Art Center, Ohio, 1988, no. 7.
- Realism and Romanticism in Nineteenth-Century New England Seascapes, Whitney Museum of American Art at Champion, Stamford, 1989, unnumbered checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no.20.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Wagner, Ann Prentice. "Fitz Henry Lane, The United States Frigate 'President' Engaging the British Squadron." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 98-99, 261, repro.