lower right on plank, now illegible: W.V. Velde [J?]
Robert Napier [1791-1876], Glasgow, by 1865; (his sale, Shandon Collection, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 13 April 1877, no. 469); J. M. Anderson. (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 15 June 1901, no. 42); Wallis. (V. G. Fischer Fine Art Co., Washington); purchased 1906 by William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest April 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, as Marine; acquired 2016 by the National Gallery of Art.
- National Exhibition of Works of Art, Leeds, England, 1868, no. 607.
- Possibly Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1906-1911, unnumbered checklist.
- Graves, Algernon. A Century of Loan Exhibitions, 1813-1912. 5 vols. London, 1913-1915: 4(1914): 1496.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 159, no. 135.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Illustrated Handbook of the W.A. Clark Collection. Washington, 1928: 54.
- Breckenridge, James D. A handbook of Dutch and Flemish paintings in the William Andrews Clark collection. Washington, 1955: 51, repro.
- Bal, Mieke. "Sticky images: the foreshortening of time in an art of duration." Time and the image. Edited by Carolyn Bailey Gill. Manchester and New York, 2000: 91, pl. 13.