lower center right: D. Hardenstein / 1663
William Andrews Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan to display with the permanent collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1906-1910.
- Antiquities to Impressionism: The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part 2. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 206, no. 268, as by Dutch School.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Illustrated Handbook of the W.A. Clark Collection. Washington, 1928: 33, no. 2004, as by Arent Arentsz, called Cabel.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Illustrated Handbook of The W.A. Clark Collection. Washington, 1932: 35, no. 2004, as by Arent Arentsz, called Cabel.
- Breckenridge, James D. A handbook of Dutch and Flemish paintings in the William Andrews Clark collection. Washington, 1955: 23, repro.
- Sutton, Peter C. A Guide to Dutch Art in America. Washington and Grand Rapids, 1986: 300.
- Streng, Jean, and Lydie van Dijk. Zwolle in de Gouden Eeuw: cultuur en schilderkunst. Exh. cat. Stedelijk Museum, Zwolle, 1997: 78.