lower left: J. C. Cazin 1883
R. Austin Robertson; (his sale, American Art Association, New York, 7-8 April 1892, no. 146, as Halte de Voyageurs avant la Nuit); C.P. Huntington, New York. James F. Sutton, New York, by 1893. I. Montaignac, Paris; purchased 1909 by William A. Clark [1839-1925]; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, as Halte de Voyageurs Avant la Nuit: "Cazin's Angelus"; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Special Exhibition of Works of J.-Ch. Cazin, American Art Galleries, New York, 1893, no. 50, as Halte de Voyageurs avant la Nuit.
- The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April-16 July 1978, unnumbered cat.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 14, repro.
- Monet to Matisse: Landscape Painting in France, 1874-1914, National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, 11 August-23 October 1994.
- Redefining Genre: French and American Painting 1850-1900, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis; Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach; Santa Barbara Museum of Art; Meridian Internatioal Center, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 21.
- A Passion for Nature: Landscape Painting from 19th Century France, Art Gallery of Alberta, Edmonton, 15 October 2011 - 20 February 2012, no catalogue.