lower left: WM M. CHASE
Purchased 1905 from the artist through the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
Associated NamesCorcoran Gallery of Art
- Comparative Exhibition of Native and Foreign Arts, 1904, Under the Auspices of the Society of Art Collectors, American Fine Arts Society, New York, 1904, no. 14.
- One Hundredth Anniversary Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 23 January - 4 March 1905, no. 417.
- Third Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, 30 April - 30 August 1908, no. 27.
- Main Currents in the Development of American Painting, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 16 January - 1 March 1936, no. 74, repro.
- Chase Centennial Exhibition, John Herron Art Museum, Indianapolis, 1 November - 11 December 1949, no. 50, repro.
- De Gustibus: An Exhibition of American Paintings Illustrating a Century of Taste and Criticism, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 9 January - 20 February 1949, no. 35, repro.
- William Merritt Chase, 1849-1916: A Retrospective Exhibition, Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, New York, 1957, no. 105, repro.
- A Century and a Half of American Paintings, Dulin Gallery of Art, Knoxville, no.19.
- The Romantic Century, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1963, no cat.
- The Object as Subject, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979, no. 11, unpublished checklist.
- Guy Pene du Bois: Artist About Town, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston, 1980-1981, no. 92, repro.
- Animals in American Art: 1880s-1980s, Nassau Country Museum of Fine Arts, Roslyn, New York,1981-1982, no. 65.
- Painterly Controversy: William Merritt Chase and Robert Henri, Bruce Museum, Greenwich, Connecticut, 2007, no. 16, repro.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Art and Appetite: American Painting, Culture, and Cuisine, The Art Institute of Chicago; Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, 2013-2014, no. 3, repro.
- Larkin, Susan G. "And English Cod." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 188-189, 275, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: