on front right of base: Frederick MacMonnies / Paris 1890; on center back of base, a circular cachet, around circumference: 44BIS AVENUE DE CHATILLON.PARIS.; in center of circular cahchet: E GRUET / JEUNE / FONDEUR
Marks and Labels
FM: E. Gruet Jeune
Probably purchased at auction in New York in the late 1930s by Louis E. Shecter [1901-1992], Baltimore; gift 1966 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Academy: The Academic Tradition in American Art, An Exhibition Organized on the Occasion of the 150th Anniversary of the National Academy of Design: 1825-1975, National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington, 6 June - 1 December 1975, no. 114, repro.
- Mercié in Context: The French Academic Tradition in American Public Sculpture, Marsh Gallery , University of Richmond, 10 October - 7 November 1990, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Beaux-Arts to Moderne: Roots of Modern Sculpture, Fine Arts Program of the Federal Reserve Board, Washington, 22 June - 13 August 1993, no. 9.
- Picturing the Corcoran's Sculpture: Photographs by David Finn, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 3 November - 30 December 2002, fig. 43.
- American Bronzes from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 29 April 2009 - 2013, no catalogue.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Aymar, Brandt. The Young Male Figure in Paintings, Sculptures, and Drawings from Ancient Egypt to the Present. New York, 1970: 178.
- Cooper, Jeremy. Nineteenth Century Romantic Bronzes. Boston, 1975: 117.
- Conner, Janis, and Joel Rosenkranz. Rediscoveries in American Sculpture: Studio Works, 1893-1938. Austin, 1989: 126.
- Cash, Sarah, with Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 142, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: