lower left: Kenyon Cox 1883
Purchased 1892/1893 by Stanford White [1853-1906], New York; (his estate sale, Mendelssohn Hall by the American Art Association, New York, 11-12 April 1907, no. 58); Charles Adams Platt [1861-1933], New York, and Cornish, New Hampshire; purchased December 1922 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Seventh Annual Exhibition of the Society of American Artists, National Academy of Design, New York, 26 May - 21 June 1884, no. 30.
- Twelfth Annual Exhibition, Inter-State Industrial Exposition of Chicago, 3 September - 18 October 1884, no. 338.
- Fifth Annual Exhibition of Contemporary American Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 5 May - 2 June 1885, no. 35.
- Exposition universelle internationale de 1889, Palais du Champ de Mars, Paris, 5 May - 5 November 1889, no. 67 (Etats-Unis).
- Sixtieth Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 30 January - 6 March 1890, no. 40.
- Retrospective Exhibition of the Society of American Artists, Galleries of the American Fine Arts Society, New York, 5 - 25 December 1892, no. 67N.
- World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1 May - 30 October 1893, Group 139, no. 306.
- Pan American Exposition, Buffalo, 1 May - 2 November 1901, no. 760.
- Exhibition of Paintings, Decorations and Drawings by Kenyon Cox, Art Institute of Chicago, 4 - 30 April 1911, no. 9.
- Modern Painting Isms and How They Grew, Baltimore Museum of Art, 12 January - 11 February 1940, unnumbered checklist.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences, 15 June - November 1950.
- Painters of Ohio's Past, Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts; Dayton Art Institute; Akron Institute; Toledo Museum of Art, 1953.
- American Traditional Painters [American Federation of Arts exhibition], J.B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville; Allentown Art Museum; Columbus (Ohio) Gallery of Fine Art; Charles and Amma Frye Art Museum, Seattle; Bergner's Gallery, Peoria; Des Moines Art Center; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, 1962-1963, no. catalogue.
- Extended loan for use by the Art in Embassies Program, U.S. Department of State, 1970-1971.
- American Landscape Tradition, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978, unpublished checklist.
- Extended loan for use by the Vice President's residence, Washington, 1984-1989.
- Paris 1889: American Artists at the Universal Exposition, Chrysler Museum, Norfolk; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia; Memphis Brooks Museum of Art; The New-York Historical Society, 1989-1990, no checklist.
- Revisiting the White City: American Art at the 1893 World's Fair, National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum), Washington, 1993, no checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 2: Painters born from 1850 to 1910. Washington, 1973: 22, repro. 23.
- Shapiro, Emily Dana. "Kenyon Cox, Flying Shadows." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 160-161, 172, 270, repro.