lower left: B F Reinhart / 1867
Collection of the artist. Dr. William F. Hughes [d. 1929, rector 1918-1929 of the Roman Catholic Church of St. Gregory the Great, Brooklyn]; Roman Catholic Church of St. Gregory the Great, Brooklyn; sold to (Kennedy Galleries, New York); purchased 1958 by Landsell K. [1903-1965] and Helen G. Christie, New York; gift 27 April 1959 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Forty-third Annual Exhibition of the National Academy of Design, New York, 1868, no. 343.
- They Saw the West, Museum of Fine Arts, Saint Petersburg, Florida, 30 September - 10 November 1968, no catalogue.
- The American Frontier: Images and Myths, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 26 June - 16 September 1973, no. 58, fig. 36.
- 19th Century American Landscape Paintings, Great Hall, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, 15 October - 10 December 1975, no catalogue.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, 1981-1983, no. 13, repro.
- Opening the Way West: Paintings of the Early 19th Century Depicting the Drama of Exploration in the American West, The Katonah Gallery, Katonah, New York, 21 March - 24 May 1981, no. 37.
- Loan to display in the offices of the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, Washington, 1984-1985.
- Women in the American West: An Historical Perspective, Bruce Museum, Greenwich, Connecticut, 18 May - 31 August 1985, no catalogue.
- The American West: Out of Myth into Reality, Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson; Terra Museum of Art, Chicago; Toledo (Ohio) Museum of Art, 12 February - 31 December 2000, no. 48, repro.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, D.C., 1966; 124.
- Williams, Hermann Warner, Jr. Mirror to the American Past: A Survey of American Genre Painting, 1750-1900. Greenwich, Connectivut, 1973; 157.
- Doetsch, Raymond N. Journey to the Green and Golden Lands: The Epic Survival of the Wagon Trail. New York, 1976; 55.
- Nygren, Edward J. and Peter C. Marzio. Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery. Washington, D.C., 1981; 184.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 314, repro.