lower right: MAX WEBER 1917
The artist, until at least 1959. Loretta and Robert K. Lifton. (Barbara Mathes Gallery, New York); purchased 1979 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Pioneers of Modern Art in American, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 9 April - 19 May 1946, no. 171.
- Max Weber Retrospective Exhibition, Whtiney Museum of American Art, New York; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, 1949, no. 22.
- Exhibition of Contemporary American Painting, Architecture Building, University of Illinois, Urbana, 4 March - 15 April 1951, no catalogue, as Family Reunion, according to label on painting.
- A Collector's Choice, American Federation of Arts, New York, September 1955 - September 1956, no. 38.
- Max Weber Retrospective Exhibition, Newark Museum, 1 October - 15 November 1959, no. 25.
- Max Weber, Forum Gallery, New York, 25 October - 14 November 1975, no. 13, as The Visit: A Family Reunion.
- 20th Century American Art from Friends' Collections, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 27 July - 27 September 1977, unnumbered brochure.
- Acquisitions Since 1975, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 5 November 1982 - 16 January 1983, unpublished checklist.
- Max Weber: The Cubist Decade, 1910-1920, High Museum of Art, Atlanta; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Albright Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo; Brooklyn Museum; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1991-1993, no. 70, repro., as The Visit (A Family Reunion) (shown only in Atlanta, Houston, and Washington).
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist, as The Visit (A Family Reunion).
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 77 (shown only in Washington).
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Lewis, Jo Ann. "Artful Acquisitions at the Corcoran." The Washington Post (1981): B3.
- Nygren, Edward J., "American Genre: Its Changing Form and Content," in Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery (Washington, D.C., 2004): 18, 189, fig. 15.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 323, repro.