lower left: L. L'Hermitte / 1898
(Boussod et Valadon, Paris); purchased May 1898 by William Andrews Clark [1839-1925], Paris and New York, as Laveuses le soir; bequest April 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Salon, Paris, 1898, no. 776, repro., as Les laveuses.
- Louisiana Purchase Exposition, Saint Louis, Missouri, 1904, no. 375, as Washerwomen.
- Loan to display with the permanent collection, Renwick Gallery, Washington, 1971-1978.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 11, repro.
- A Passion for Nature: Landscape Painting from 19th Century France, Art Gallery of Alberta, Edmonton, 15 October 2011 - 20 February 2012, no catalogue.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 106, no. 9.