lower left: COROT; lower right, the "n" backwards: Janvier 1861
Given by Corot to his god-daughter, Mme. Renaut, at the time of her first communion; purchased by (Georges Petit, Paris) by 1898; sold to Albert, vicomte de Curel [1827-1928], Paris; his heirs; (his estate sale, Galerie Georges Petit, 25 November 1918 [originally scheduled for 3 May 1918], no. 1, as Le Lac de Terni); purchased jointly by (Arnold & Tripp, Paris) and (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); purchased April 1919 by William Andrews Clark [1839-1925], New York, as Le Lac de Terni; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan Exhibition. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art: A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein, New York, 1959, unnumbered catalogue, repro., as The Lake of Terni.
- Corot (1797-1875): An Exhibition of His Paintings and Graphic Work, The Art Institute of Chicago, 6 October - 13 November 1960, no. 90.
- Barbizon First Anniversary Exhibition of Lakeview Center, Peoria, Illinois, 6 April - 16 May 1966, repro.
- Retrospective of Paintings by J. B. C. Corot, Wildenstein & Co., New York, 29 October - 6 December 1969, no. 50, repro.
- The William A. Clark Collection: An Exhibition Marking the 50th Anniversary of the Installation of The Clark Collection at The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April - 16 July 1978, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 3, repro.
- The William A. Clark Collection: Treasures of a Copper King, Yellowstone Art Center, Billings; Montana Historical Society, Helena, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Corot to Monet: The Rise of Landscape Painting in France, The Currier Gallery of Art, Manchester, New Hampshire; IBM Gallery of Science and Art, New York; Dallas Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 27 January 1991 - 5 January 1992, repro.
- Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot, Galeries Nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Museum of Fine Arts of Canada, Ottawa; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 28 February 1996 - 19 January 1997, fig. 64.
- Corot: Natura, emozione, ricordo, Madrid Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza; Ferrara Palazzo dei Diamanti, 2005-2006, no. 2, repro.
- Monet and the Seine: Impressions of a River, Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2014 (shown only in Tulsa).