lower left in black ink: Harpers Ferry from below; lower left in brown ink: Doughty
(James Graham & Sons, New York); Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1964; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Six Early American Portraits an A Group of American Drawings, James Graham & Sons, New York, 1964, no. 3
- American Art in the Making: Preparatory Studies for Masterpieces of American Painting, 1800-1900, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, 1976-1977
- American Masters: Works on Paper from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1986-1988, pp. 14-15, no. 4
- American Landscape: Drawings and Watercolors from the Permanent Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2006
- Hayes, Bartlett H., Jr. Drawings of the Masters: American Drawings. New York: Shorewood, 1965, pl. 22.
- Wilmerding, John. Nineteenth Century American Painting. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1971.
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 4, no. 22.