by unknown hand on mount, red line marks outside edges of sheet; vertical along center left edge in graphite: 62-7-8/15; bottom left in red ink: MotSCRM / P 31 / DO NOT CROP; bottom center in orange pencil: 1-17 PICAS → 1; on verso, vertical along top left corner in black ink: Blacks.; upper left stamped perpendicular in black ink: This is the original print / used for reproduction in / MEMORIES OF THE SOUTHERN / CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT; upper left perpendicular in blue ink: Olson + Meyer; upper center in graphite reversed: 67017; top right typed in black ink on white label: BLACKS / SEGREGATION; by Corcoran Gallery of Art, vertical along top right corner in graphite: 1994.3.5; by unknown hand, upper center in graphite, partially erased: Erwitt; center perpendicular in black ink: DANNY LYON; center perpendicular in blue ink: MAGNUM / N.Y.C. 15688 / SEGREGATION; center right on angle in graphite: 63035; center left on angle in red ink: Illus. 3-10; lower right stamped in reverse, inside rectangular border: [MAGNUM] / [PHOTO LIBRARY PRINT] / [indecipherable] / LOG [NO.] [line] / TO BE RETURNED.; graphite annotation along top center of stamp, crossed out: 39655; along top right of stamp: 42505; vertical left of stamp: 47440; vertical lower left of stamp, crossed out: 36314; lower left inside stamp, reversed and crossed out: 34388; lower left inside stamp, crossed out: 27541; lower center inside stamp, crossed out: 38190; lower lef inside stamp, reversed and crossed out: 23372; lower right inside stamp, crossed out twice: 17820; lower right corner inside stamp, crossed out: 20908; bottom left inside stamp, crossed out: 45047; bottom right corner inside stamp: 20241; bottom right of stamp: 55171
Danny Lyon, Clintondale, NY; Friends of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC (through Simon Lowinsky Gallery, New York), 1994; gift to Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994; acquired by NGA, 2015.
Associated NamesCorcoran Gallery of Art
- À Prova de Água | Waterproof, Bélem Cultural Centre, Lisbon, Portugal, February 27 – May 31, 1998
- Both Sides of the Street: Celebrating the Corcoran's Photography Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, August 25 – December 8, 2003
- Sight/Insight: Photographs from the Permanent Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, April 26 – October 29, 2006
- Calado, Jorge. À Prova de Água | Waterproof. Exh. cat. Lisbon, 1998: 511, no. 307.
- Malet, Rosa Maria et al. Modernitat Americana: Obres de la Corcoran Gallery of Art. Exh. cat. Fundació Joan Miró, Barcelona, 2008: 106, 170.