upper right in graphite: E. Leutze [erased] / Bacharach Sept. 14 1841
Rear Admiral Eugene Henry Cozzens Leutze (son of the artist), New York; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1917; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- The Dusseldorf Academy and the Americans, Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, New York; National Collection of Fine Arts, Washington, DC; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia, 1972-1973
- The Hudson on the Rhine, Kuntsmuseum Dusseldorf; Kunsthalle Bielefeld, Germany, 1976
- American Master Drawings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1983
- American Masters: Works on Paper from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1986-1988, pp. 19-21, no. 8, repro
- Groseclose, Barbara S. Emanuel Leutze, 1816-1868: Freedom is the Only King. Washington, DC: National Collection of Fine Arts, 1975, pp. 123-124, 137, no. 242.
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 33, no. 237.