lower left: E M Bannister 85
Scott A. Smith, by 1901; by descent in his family. Acquired c. 1960s by Joseph K. and Anne Ott, Providence; acquired 1985 by Daniel R. Mechnig, Providence; (sale, Sotheby's, New York, 19 May 2021, no. 46); purchased by NGA.
- Bannister Memorial Exhibition, Providence Art Club, Rhode Island, January 1901.
- Hidden Heritage: The Art of Black America 1800-1950, The Art Museum Association of America in California, San Francisco, (tour?) 1985-1990, no. 16.
- Edward M. Bannister Exhibition, Providence Art Club, Rhode Island; Newport Art Museum, Rhode Island, 1990-1991.
- Edward Mitchell Bannister 1828-1901, Kenkeleba House, New York; Stamford, Connecticut; Whitney Museum of American Art at Champion, 1992-1993, p. 13.
- Edward Mitchell Bannister, Providence Art Club, Rhode Island, May-June 1997.
- Edward M. Bannister: A Centennial Retrospective, Roger King Gallery of Fine art, Newport, Rhode Island; Kenkeleba House, New York, 2001-2002, p. 14.
- Barbizon to Impressionism Exhibit, Newport Art Museum, Rhode Island, 2007-2008.
- Black Entrepreneurs of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Museum of African American History Boston and Nantucket, Nantucket; Federal Reserve Bank, Boston, 2009-2010, p. 9.
- Our Founders, Providence Art Club, Rhode Island, 2010.
- Mapping Realism: Paintings from the Royal Museum of Fine Arts of Belgium and American Collections, McMullen Museum of Art, Boston, 2013, no. 48, repro.
- Edward Mitchell Bannister, Gilbert Stuart Museum, Saunderstown, Rhode Island, 2018.