lower right: A.J.MOTLEY.JR / 1922
The artist [1891-1981], Chicago; by inheritance to his son, Archibald John (Archie) Motley, III [1934-2002], Chicago; joint owner from 1986 with his wife, Valerie Gerrard Browne [b. 1940]; full ownership 2002 to Valerie Gerrard Browne; joint owner from 2017 with her daughter, Mara Hope Gerrard Motley, M.D. [b. 1985], Chicago; purchased February 2018 by NGA.
- Twenty-Seventh Annual Exhibition by Artists of Chicago and Vicinity, Art Institute of Chicago, 1923, no. 189.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Archibald J. Motley, Jr., The New Gallery, New York, 1928.
- Archibald Motley, Jr., Tudor Gallery, Chicago Woman's Club, 1933.
- Two Centuries of Black American Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta; Museum of Fine Arts, Dallas; Brooklyn Museum, 1976-1977, no. 80.
- Three Masters: Eldzier Cortor, Hughie Lee-Smith, Archibald John Motley, Jr., Kenkeleba Gallery, New York, 1988, no. 63.
- The Art of Archibald J. Motley, Jr., Chicago Historical Society; Studio Museum of Harlem, New York; High Museum/Georgia-Pacific Gallery, Atlanta; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1991-1993, no. 9, repro.
- Archibald Motley: Jazz Age Modernist, Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, Durham; Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Chicago Cultural Center; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 2014-2016, no. 4, repro.