across underside of base: SONTHOMAS
The artist [1926-1993], Leland, Mississippi; purchased 1987 by William S. Arnett [1939-2020], Atlanta; gift 2012 to the Souls Grown Deep Foundation, Atlanta; acquired 2020 by NGA through a gift/purchase agreement.
- Souls Grown Deep: African American Vernacular Art of the South, Michael G. Carlos Museum at City Hall East, Atlanta, 1996.
- When the Stars Begin to Fall: Imagination and the American South, The Studio Museum in Harlem, New York; NSU Art Museum, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale; Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, 2014-2015.
- James 'Son Ford' Thomas: The Devil and His Blues, 80WSE Gallery (80 Washington Square East Gallery), New York University, 2015.
- Outliers and American Vanguard Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington; High Museum of Art, Atlanta; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2018-2019.
- Arnett, Paul, and William Arnett. Souls grown deep : African American vernacular art of the South. 2 vols. Atlanta, 2000-2001.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: