on verso, collector's label, top left printed in black ink on applied label: This print is from the / estate of the artist and / was in her collection at / the time of her death. / [signed in black ink] John Dixon / John Dixon / Son of Dorothea Lange; by unknown hand, center left in red crayon: 38263; by unknown hand, center in graphite: 17 [illegible]; by unknown hand, center right in graphite crossed out: Where’s the neg?; by unknown hand, bottom left in graphite: F98; by unknown hand, vertical along right edge in graphite: Amer Exodus 133
Dorothea Lange, Berkeley, CA; by descent to John Dixon, her son, Orinda, CA, 1965; (RoseGallery, Santa Monica, CA); Daniel Greenberg and Susan Steinhauser, Van Nuys, CA, 29 December 2000; gift to NGA, 2016.
Associated NamesSusan Steinhauser
- Made in California: Art, Image, and Identity, 1900-2000: Los Angeles County Museum of Contemporary Art, October 22, 2000- February 25, 2001
- Lange, Dorothea, and Paul Schuster Taylor. An American Exodus: A Record of Human Erosion. New York, 1939: 133.
- Hoffman, Michael E., ed. Dorothea Lange: Photographs of a Lifetime. New York, 1982: 70.
- Arrow, Jan. Dorothea Lange. London, 1985: n.p.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Dorothea Lange: American Photographs. Exh. cat. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, 1994: pl. 30.
- Borhan, Pierre. Dorothea Lange, the Heart and Mind of a Photographer. Boston, 2002: 92.
- Gordon, Linda. Dorothea Lange. New York, 2014: 25.