signed by artist, center right in graphite: Dorothea Lange 1954; by Dorothea Lange, center left in graphite: Native Californian - from the series Ten Women; on verso, upper center printed in black ink on applied label: DOROTHEA LANGE / 1163 EUCLID AVENUE / BERKELEY 8. CALIFORNIA; Polaroid Corporation label, center printed in black ink on applied label: PHOTOGRAPHY COLLECTION / OF POLAROID CORPORATION / CAMBRIDGE 39, Mass. / Title [printed in black ink: Native Californian] / Photographer [typed in black ink: DOROTHEA LANGE] / Process [printed in black ink: ENLARGEMENT] / Acquired [by unknown hand in black ink: June] 19 [by unknown hand in black ink: 58] No. [by unknown hand in black ink: 127] / This print is the property of the Polaroid Corporation, / and must not be reproduced in any fashion without the / consent of the Polaroid Corporation and the Photographer.; by unknown hand, bottom left in graphite: 54:756:03
Dorothea Lange, Berkeley, CA; The Polaroid Collection, New York, June 1958; (sale, Sotheby's, New York, 22 June 2010); Daniel Greenberg and Susan Steinhauser, Van Nuys, CA; gift to NGA, 2016.
Associated NamesSusan Steinhauser
- Museum of Modern Art. Dorothea Lange. Exh. cat. Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1966: 68.
- Newhall, Beaumont. Dorothea Lange Looks at the American Country Woman. Fort Worth and Los Angeles, 1967: 15.
- Meltzer, Milton. Dorothea Lange: A Photographer's Life. Toronto, 1978: 266.
- Hoffman, Michael E., ed. Dorothea Lange: Photographs of a Lifetime. New York, 1982: 105.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Dorothea Lange: American Photographs. Exh. cat. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, 1994: pl. 118.
- Borhan, Pierre. Dorothea Lange, the Heart and Mind of a Photographer. Boston, 2002: 197.