The artist's widow, Jane Mortimer, London; (her sale, Christie's, London, 25 March 1808, no. 22); bought by Lambert. (Sale, Hodgson & Co., London, 21 October 1960, part of lot 561); (bought by Colnaghi's, London); (Yvonne Ffrench, London, 1960); Frederick J. Cummings [1933-1990], Detroit, MI, then New York City, acquired 1961; (W. M. Brady & Co., Inc., New York); Donald Vogler, Portland, OR; gift to NGA, 2017.
- Society of Artists, London, 1775, no. 179.
- William Blake and His Circle. Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery, San Marino, CA, no. 44 (Robert Wark).
- John Hamilton Mortimer, A.R.A., 1740-1799. Towner Art Gallery, Eastbourne, and Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood, 1968, no. 79v (Benedict Nicolson).
- Romantic Art in Britain, Drawings and Paintings, 1760-1860. Detroit Institute of Arts and Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1968, no. 56 (Frederick Cummings and Allen Staley).
- French and English Drawings, 1700-1875. Zangrilli, Brady & Co., LTd., New York, 1986, no. 12.
- Palser, Thomas. A Series of Heads Illustrative of the Characters in Shakespeare's Plays, Designed and Etched by John Hamilton Mortimer. London, 1812: no. 2.
- Palser, Thomas. Mortimer's Works, A Collection of FIfty Historical Designs. London, 1816, n.p.
- Benthall, Gilbert. "A Selection from the Catalogue of Pictures, Drawings, and Etchings by John Hamilton Mortimer, ARA." Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 132, no. 1a (typed manuscript).
- Sunderland, John. "Mortimer Drawings," The Burlington Magazine 116, no. 851 (February 1974): 108.
- Sunderland, John. "John Hamilton Mortimer: His Life and Works," Walpole Society 52 (1986, published 1988): no. 96.7a, fig. 166.