James-Alexandre, comte de Pourtalès-Gorgier [1776-1855], Paris, by 1841; (Pourtalès-Gorgier sale, Paris, 27 March-4 April 1865, 1st day, no. 87, as by Masaccio [sale began February 6; sale of paintings began March 27]); Henri-Joseph-François, baron de Triqueti [1804-1874], Paris; by inheritance to his daughter, Mme Lee-Childe, baronne de Triqueti, Paris; (Triqueti sale, Paris, 4 May 1886, no. 4). ("a Paris expert's junk shop"). Baron Arthur de Schickler [1828-1919], Paris, and Martinvast, Normandy (near Cherbourg); by inheritance to his daughter, Marguerite, Comtesse Hubert de Pourtalès [1870-1956], Paris, and Martinvast, Normandy; sold June 1920 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, and New York) in part-share agreement with (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York) and (Arnold Seligmann & Co., Paris); on approval to Carl W. Hamilton [1886-1967], New York, by 1920, and returned 1921; Clarence H. Mackay [1874-1938], Roslyn, New York, by 1924 until at least the mid-1930s; (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 15 December 1936 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
Associated NamesDrouot, Hôtel
Duveen Brothers, Inc.
Duveen Brothers, Inc.
Hamilton, Carl W.
Lee-Childe, Baronne de Triqueti, Mme
Mackay, Clarence H.
Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, The A.W.
Pourtalès, Hubert de, Comtesse
Pourtalès-Gorgier, James-Alexandre, comte de
Schickler, Arthur de, Baron
Seligmann & Cie., Arnold
Triqueti, Henri-Joseph-François, baron de
Wildenstein & Co., Inc.
- Loan Exhibition of Important Early Italian Paintings in the Possession of Notable American Collectors, Duveen Brothers, New York, 1924, no. 19 (no. 13 in illustrated 1926 version of catalogue).
- Loan Exhibition of Primitives, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1929, no. 5.
- Exhibition of Italian Art 1200-1900, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1930, no. 133a in 4th ed. of catalogue (no. 231 in commemorative catalogue published 1931; not in 1st ed. of catalogue or souvenir catalogue).
- Fifteenth Century Portraits, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1935, no. 11, repro.
- The Botticelli Renaissance (Berlin title) / Botticelli Re-Imagined (London title), Staatliche Museen zu Berlin; Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 2015-2016, no. 163, repro. (painting lent to exhibition in Tokyo between Berlin and London venues).
- Botticelli and His Time, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 2016 (painting withdrawn a month early for loan to exhibition in London).
- Valentiner, W.R. The Clarence H. Mackay Collection. New York, 1926: 1, 3-4, no. 4, repro.
- Jewell, Edward Alden. "Mellon's Gift." Magazine of Art 30, no. 2 (February 1937): 79, repro.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 101, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 28, no. 19.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 76.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 20, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 22, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 300, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 17.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:50, color repro.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 10, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 36, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: 1:79-80; 2:pl. 52.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 97, no. 61, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 55, repro.
- Tansey, Richard G. and Fred S. Kleiner. Gardner's Art Through the Ages. 10th ed. Fort Worth, 1996: 719-720, color fig. 21.56.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 176-180, color repro.