lower left: W. R. Miller / 1863
William H. Gerdts, New York, by at least 1965; gift 2018 to NGA.
- [Still lifes of edible subjects from the collection of William H. Gerdts, on occasion of publication of cookbook by William and Lois Katzenbach], Board Room, American Federation of the Arts, New York, c. 1965, no catalogue, label no. 14.
- Mid-Nineteenth Century American Painting from the Collections of Henry M. Fuller and William H. Gerdts, Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, 1966, no. 40.
- The Apple of America: The Apple in 19th Century American Art, Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1993.
- For Beauty and For Truth: The William and Abigail Gerdts Collection of American Still Life, Mead Art Museum, Amherst; Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1998, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Gerdts, William H., and Russell Burke. American Still-Life Painting. New York, 1971: 106, fig. 7-7.