lower left in plate: Friedr. Reinhold inv.; lower right in plate: Heinr. Reinhold fecit; lower right verso in graphite by later hand: G39 1-481 / 1985-52-18826 [2nd line crossed out]
Dr. Andreas Andresen [1828-1871], Nuremberg and Leipzig; (his sale, C.G. Boerner, Leipzig, December 1, 1873, part of no. 2090 ); John S. Phillips [1800-1876], Philadelphia; bequeathed 1876 to Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts; de-accessioned and acquired by Philadelphia Museum of Art 1985 (Muriel and Philip Berman Gift); de-accessioned 2017  and sold through (C.G. Boerner, New York); purchased 2018 by NGA.