lower right on base of column, the DH in monogram: DHALS ANo 1625
Mr. Bryant, Bristol; (his sale, Bristol, 27 April 1848); purchased by Humphry Willyams [1792-1872], Carnanton House, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Cornwall. Joseph H. Carter [1862-1937], London, in 1896/1898 or later; by descent in his family; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 19 April 1985, no. 43); (Richard Green Fine Art, London); sold 1985 to Maida and George Abrams, Newton, Massachusetts; purchased through (Sotheby's, New York) March 2020 by NGA.
- Prized Possessions: European Paintings from Private Collections of Friends of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1992, no. 71, pl. 53.
- The Poetry of Everyday Life: Dutch Painting in Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2002, repro.
- Clouds, Ice, and Bounty: The Lee and Juliet Folger Fund Collection of Seventeenth-Century Dutch and Flemish Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2021, no. 25, repro.
- Catalogue of the Antient [sic] and Modern Pictures in the Collection of Humphry Willyams, Esq. at Carnanton, Cornwall. London, 1871: 92, no. 38.
- Nehlsen-Marten, Britta. Dirck Hals, 1591-1656: Oeuvre und Entwicklung eines Haarlemer Genremalers. Weimar, 2003: 267, no. 31, 368 ill. 102.