Possibly Edward Cheney [1803-1884], London, after 1860 Badger Hall, Shropshire; possibly by inheritance to his brother-in-law, Colonel Alfred Capel-Cure [1826-1896]; by inheritance to his nephew, Francis Capel-Cure [1854-1933], Badger Hall, Shropshire. (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi, Florence); purchased 1932 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Giambattista Tiepolo: Master of the Oil Sketch, Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 1993, no. 53, repro., as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1993-1994.
The support is a relatively coarse plain-weave fabric prepared with a red ground. The paint was applied rapidly in short fluid strokes with low impasto in the principal color areas of the sky and foreground. The linear description of the figures is fluid and calligraphic in nature. The textured brushwork ends at a boundary approximately 0.7 cm above the bottom edge of the painting. Air-path x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy suggests a palette of Prussian blue, white and red leads, iron oxide, Naples yellow, vermilion, and possibly ultramarine.
Because a lead-based adhesive was used to adhere the present lining fabric, the x-radiographs cannot be used to determine whether the tacking margins have been removed, the support has been cut down, or the original dimensions of the work. Abrasion is present in the thinly painted sky, and there are scattered losses around the edges. The varnish is clear. The painting was relined about 1932. Discolored varnish was removed and the painting conserved in 1932 and again in 1988.
 Suzanne Quillen Lomax, analysis report of 1988, NGA curatorial files.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 192, no. 211, as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 243, repro. 194, as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Longhi, Roberto. Viatico per cinque secoli di pittura veneziana. Florence, 1946: 70, fig. 165.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 127, as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Morassi, Antonio. "Antonio Guardi." In Sensibilità e razionalità del '700. Corso internazionale di alta cultura, 7, Venice 1965. Edited by Vittore Branca. Florence, 1967: 67.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 113, repro., as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Pallucchini, Anna. L'opera completa di Giambattista Tiepolo. Milan, 1968: 133, no. 288, repro.
- Fredericksen, Burton B., and Federico Zeri. Census of Pre-Nineteenth Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections. Cambridge, Mass., 1972: 197.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XVI-XVIII Century. London, 1973: 148, fig. 288.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 336, repro., as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: I:442-443, II:pl. 320, as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Knab, Eckhart. "Appunti su alcuni disegni veneziani dell'Albertina." In Interpretazioni veneziani. Studi di storia dell'arte in onore di Michelangelo Muraro. Edited by David Rosand. Venice, 1984: 418.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 388, repro., as The Apotheosis of a Poet.
- Brown, Beverly Louise. Giambattista Tiepolo: Master of the Oil Sketch. Exh. cat. Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth. Milan and New York, 1993: 296-298, no. 53, color repro.
- Gemin, Massimo, and Filippo Pedrocco. Giambattista Tiepolo. Venice, 1993: 465, no. 482, repro.
- Longyear, Teresa. "Giambattista Tiepolo: The Energetic and Fluent Brush." In Beverly Louise Brown, Giambattista Tiepolo: Master of the Oil Sketch. Exh. cat. Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth. Milan and New York, 1993: 69, 74.
- De Grazia, Diane, and Eric Garberson, with Edgar Peters Bowron, Peter M. Lukehart, and Mitchell Merling. Italian Paintings of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1996: 260-264, color repro. 263.
- Pedrocco, Filippo. Giambattista Tiepolo. Milan, 2002: no. 253, repro.