upper right: forain 1925
Probably acquired 1929 from (Charles Sessler, Philadelphia) by Lessing J. Rosenwald [1891-1979], Jenkintown, PA; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Forain: The Collection of Lessing J. Rosenwald, The Pennsylvania Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 1932, possibly no. 7 as Femme en déshabille Assise sur un bureau
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 50.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 43, repro.
- Wasell, Nancy Michelle. Jean Louis Forain, the Painter. M.A. thesis, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1969:59, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 130, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 155, repro.