lower left: forain
Probably acquired 1930 from (Charles Sessler, Philadelphia) by Lessing J. Rosenwald [1891-1979], Jenkintown, PA; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Possibly Le 6me Exposition de Peinture [Sixth Impressionist Exhibition], Paris, 1881, no. 20, as Au théâtre.
- Forain: The Collection of Lessing J. Rosenwald, The Pennsylvania Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 1932, no. 8, as Dans la Coulisse.
- Manet and Modern Paris, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, no. 38, repro.
- Degas and His Friends, The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, 1986, no. 18, repro.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1987-1998.
- Around Impressionism: French Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1999, no cat.
- Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 1999, no. 25, repro.
- Degas, Forain and Toulouse-Lautrec: Images of Dancers, The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, 2002-2003, unnumbered checklist.
- Impressions of Modern Life: French Painting of the Late 19th Century, Portland Museum of Art, 2006, no cat.
- The Dancer: Degas, Forain, and Toulouse-Lautrec, Portland (Oregon) Art Museum, 2008, unnumbered catalogue, pls. 23, 70, and 103.
- Intimate Impressionism from the National Gallery of Art, Museo dell'Ara Pacis Augustae, Rome (exhibition title in this venue: Impressionist Gems); Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; McNay Art Museum, San Antonio; Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum, Tokyo, Seattle Art Museum, 2013-2015.
- Youtz, Philip. "Forain, Artist and Journalist." American Magazine of Art XXVI (Feb 1933):87.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 51.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 43, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 130, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 483, no. 710, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 155, repro.