center left with the artist's butterfly mark
The sitter, Alexander Arnold Hannay, London, until at least 1912. (Chester H. Johnson Gallery, Chicago); sold May 1929 to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Loan Collection of the Works by James McNeill Whistler, National Gallery of British Art (now Tate Gallery), London, 1912, no. 13, as Portrait.
- Etchings, lithographs, original drawings, and autograph letters by James A. McNeill Whistler, 1834-1903: lent by Lessing J. Rosenwald, Esq, Free Library of Philadelphia, 1931, unnumbered and unillustrated leaflet.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell. The Life of James McNeill Whistler. 2 vols. London, 1908: 2:172.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 122, repro., as Arnold Hannay.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 258, repro., as Arnold Hannay.
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, and Robin Spencer, with the assistance of Hamish Miles. The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler. 2 vols. New Haven, 1980: 1:206, no. 473; 2:color pl. 306.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 381, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 255-256, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: