across top, in block: rota. pasche. menses. dies. aureus. Numerus (Easter table. months. days. golden numbers); on perimeter of central disk around angel, in block: do. pede. preteritum. Digii[u?]to. noto. pasca. futurum. que. numerum. Aureum. (I give with the foot the past and with the finger the future Easter and the golden number.); within circle at lower left, in block: litter(a)e dominicales et bivectiles [sic] mcccclxvi; within circle at lower right, in block: Rota avrei numeri. mcccclxvi; in inner ring of circle at lower left, in pen and black ink: 91; in inner circle at lower right, in pen and black ink: hic incipe / 91
[translation from Parshall, Peter, and Rainer Schoch. _Origins of European Printmaking: Fifteenth-Century Woodcuts and Their Public._ Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 2005, p. 200.]
(Sotheby's, 7 December 1926, no. 143); (L'Art Ancien, Zurich cat. 22, 1938, no.18); Richard Zinser [b. 1884], New York; purchased 23 October 1943 by Lessing J. Rosenwald, Jenkintown, PA; gift to NGA, 1944.
- French Woodcuts, Engravings and Books of the 15th and Early 16th Centuries, The Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 1955.
- Fifteenth-Century Woodcuts and Metalcuts from the Collection of the National Gallery of Art, NGA, 1965-1966, no. 271, repro.
- "Writing on Hands: Memory and Knowledge in Early Modern Europe, 1470-1700", The Trout Gallery, Dickinson College, Carlisle; The Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, 2000-2001, no. 41.
- Origins of European Printmaking: Fifteenth-Century Woodcuts and Their Public, NGA and Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg, 2005-2006, no. 54, repro.
- Schreiber, Wilhelm Ludwig. Handbuch de Holz- und Metailschnitte des XV Jahrhunderts. 8 vols. Leipzig: Verlag Karl W. Hierseman, 1926-1930.
- Field, Richard S. Fifteenth Century Woodcuts and Metalcuts from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.. Exh. cat. Washington: National Gallery of Art, 1965.
- Sherman, Claire Richter. Writing on Hands: Memory and Knowledge in Early Modern Europe. Exh. cat. The Trout Gallery, Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA, 2000, no. 41.
- Schmidt, Suzanne Karr. Interactive and Sculptural Printmaking in the Renaissance. Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2018, pp. 23-24, 82-88, Figs. 1.1 & 3.1B.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: