Commissioned by the sitter for his sister, Susan [Mrs. John Bradford Wallace, 1778-1849], Philadelphia; her son, John William Wallace [1815-1884], Philadelphia, who returned the painting to his uncle, the sitter, Horace Binney; his daughter, Susan Binney [1822-1887], Philadelphia; her nephew, the Reverend John Binney [1844-1913], Middletown, Connecticut; his son, Dr. Horace Binney [1874-1956] Milton, Massachusetts; gift 1944 to NGA.
- Gilbert Stuart Memorial Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1928, no. 9
- [exhibition of portraits of outstanding early jurists and lawyers], Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina, 1964.
- Barratt, Carrie Rebora, and Ellen G. Miles. Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. (for the Natl. Port. Gal.). New York, New Haven, and London, 2004: 5, 130, 131, 217, 262, fig. 77.
- Tuckerman 1867, 109.
- Stuart, Jane. "The Youth of Gilbert Stuart." Scribner's Monthly 8 (March 1877): 646.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 139-142, pl. 51.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 31, no. 68.
- Binney, Charles Chauncey. The Life of Horace Binney, With Selections from his Letters. Philadelphia and London, 1905: 42-44.
- Park 1926, 156, no. 86.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 102, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 228, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 350, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 219-221, color repro. 220.