lower right on scroll: Joannis b[a]pt[ista] C[o]n...
Probably W.N. Hill, Bath;  (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 30 November - 1 December 1827, no. 59); bought by Radcliff. Alexander Orloff-Davidoff, Saint Petersburg, by 1896; sold 1930 to Arthur Hamilton Lee, 1st Viscount Lee of Fareham [1868-1947], Old Quarries, Gloucestershire; (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi, Florence); purchased June 1935 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Special Exhibition of Venetian Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection, Seattle Art Museum; Portland Museum of Art, Oregon; Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Alabama, August-October 1938, no catalogue.
- Venetian Painting From the Fifteenth Century through the Eighteenth Century, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, June-July 1938, no. 22, repro.
- Four Centuries of Venetian Painting, Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio, 1940, no. 19, repro.
- Cima da Conegliano: Poeta del Paesaggio, Palazzo Sarcinelli, Conegliano, 2010, no. 40, repro.
- Harck, Fritz. "Notizen über italienische Bilder in petersburger Sammlungen," Repertorium für Kunstwissenschaft 19 (1896):434.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 40, no. 279.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 245, repro. 85.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 95, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 149, repro.
- The National Gallery of Art and Its Collections. Foreword by Perry B. Cott and notes by Otto Stelzer. National Gallery of Art, Washington (undated, 1960s): 9.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 303, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 27.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 20, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 59-60, fig. 142.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 70, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: 1:131-132; 2:pl. 91.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 191, no. 218, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 89, repro.
- Echols, Robert. "Cima and the Theme of Saint Jerome in the Wilderness." Venezia Cinquecento IV, no. 8 (July-December 1994): 47-69, fig. 9.
- Boeckl, Christine M. “Penitence/Repentance." In Encyclopedia of Comparative Iconography: Themes Depicted in Works of Art. Edited by Helene E. Roberts. 2 vols. Chicago, 1998: 2:723.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 210-213, color repro.
- Villa, Giovanni Carlo Federico, ed. Cima da Conegliano, maître de la Renaissance vénitienne. Exh. cat. Musee du Luxembourg. Paris, 2012: 173, 174 fig. 44.