lower center on parapet: .Joannes.bellinus.
Probably purchased 1816/1823 in Italy by Barthold Georg Niebuhr [1776-1831], Bonn; by inheritance to Marcus Niebuhr, London; probably by inheritance to Mrs. J.M. Tod, London; sold 17 February 1931 to (J. Leger and Son, London). Frank Oldham, London; (his sale, Sotheby's, London, 21 May 1935, no. 103); C. Huggins. (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi, Florence); sold July 1935 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Old Masters in Aid of the National Collections Fund, J. Leger and Son, London, 1931, no. 11, as Portrait of a Young Man in a black coat.
- Seven Centuries of Painting, California Palace of the Legion of Honor and M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, 1939-1940, no. L-2, repro.
- Il Rinascimento a Venezia e la pittura del Nord ai tempi di Bellini Bürer Tiziano [Renaissance Venice and the North: Crosscurrents in the Time of Bellini, Dürer, and Titian], Palazzo Grassi, Venice, 1999-2000, no. 8, repro.
- Giovanni Bellini, Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome, 2008-2009, no. 35, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 19, no. 293.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 245, repro. 67.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 139, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 11.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 4, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 41-42, fig. 98.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 20, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:34; 2:pl. 22.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 39, repro.
- Tempestini, Anchise. Giovanni Bellini: catalogo complete dei dipinti. Florence, 1992: 160-161, no. 55, color repro.
- Humphrey, Peter. Painting in Venice. New Haven, 1995: 106-107, fig. 80.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 64-66, color repro.