stamped in the wax positive on lower left shoulder, in incised circle: M.L.G [Maurice Le Garrec]; cold-stamped on bottom rim at front right: 2196-1; cold-stamped on inside, in incised circle: 3/30
Sold 12 March 1940 through (Charles Sessler, Philadelphia) to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat., as Girod de l'Ain.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 33b, repro., as Unknown ("Girod de l'Ain").
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist, as Bust of an Unknown Man (so-called "Girod de l'Ain").
- Daumier: 1808-1879, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no. 45b, repro., as Unidentified, usually identified as Verhuel (shown only in Washington).
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 20.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 150, as one of The Deputies, complete set of 36 bronze busts.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 51, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 185-186, color repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: