Léopold Goldschmidt [1830-1904], Paris; probably by inheritance to his son-in-law, comte Ange-André Pastré [1856-1926], Paris. (Jonas, Paris); purchased 1937 by (Wildenstein & Co., Paris, New York, and London); sold December 1944 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1946 to NGA.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 780.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 161, repro., as by Chardin.
- Richardson, Edgar Preston. "Recent Important Acquisitions of America Collections, Two New Additions to the Kress Collection in the National Gallery." Art Quarterly 8 (Autumn 1945): 318-319, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. Supplement to the Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1946: 7, color repro., as by Chardin.
- Wildenstein and Company. French XVIII Century Paintings. New York, 1948: 4, as by Chardin.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 356, repro., as by Chardin.
- Wildenstein, Georges. Chardin. Zurich, 1963: no. 212, 182, fig. 99.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. .National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 26, as by Chardin.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 20, repro., as by Chardin.
- Wildenstein, Georges. Chardin: catalogue raisonné. Revised by Daniel Wildenstein; translated by Stuart Gilbert. Oxford, 1969: no. 212, fig. 99, as Portrait of M... with a Muff by Chardin.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 66, repro., as by Chardin.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 351-352, fig. 325.
- Rosenberg, Pierre. Chardin, 1699-1779. Exh. cat. Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Cleveland Museum of Art; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Cleveland, 1979: 280.
- Rosenberg, Pierre. L'opera completa di Chardin. Milan, 1983: no. R12, repro. [refused].
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 25, repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 53, 243-245, color repro.