Gift 1836/1838 of the sitter's brother-in-law, Edward Stow [c. 1768-1845], Boston, to his daughter, Caroline Adelaide Stow Hyatt [Mrs. George Hyatt, 1807-1893], Ithaca; her niece, Ann Broadhurst Phillips, Boston; her niece, Adelaide Phillips Walton, Oakland, New Jersey, 1920; (André E. Rueff, Brooklyn); sold 1921 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Early American Artists, The Union League CLub, New York, March 1922, no. 3.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Sherman, Frederic Fairchild. "John Johnston's Portrait of John Peck." Art in America 10, no. 6 (October 1922): 259-260, repro. opp. 260.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Sherman, Frederic Fairchild. Early American Painting. New York, 1932: 69, plate 30A opp. 120.
- Coburn, Frederick W. "The Johnstons of Boston. Part Two." Art in America 21, no. 4 (October 1933): 137, no. 32.
- Rutledge and Lane 1952, 129.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 74, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 184, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 215, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 109-110, repro. 111.