In block, in image, at top center: · IMP·CAES·MAXIMIL·AVG; in block, in image, on banner at lower right center: 15 8; in block, in image, at lower left: Jost de Negker. ; in block, in image, at lower right: ·H·BVRGKMAIR
Marks and Labels
recto, lower right corner below artist's name, in black ink: Friedrich August II (Lugt 971)
Friedrich August II, King of Saxony [1797-1854] (Lugt 971); (William H. Schab, New York); purchased by Lessing J. Rosenwald [1891-1979], 1948; gift to NGA, 1948.
- Rosenwald Collection: An Exhibition of Recent Accessions of Prints and Drawings, NGA, 1950, no. 30, repro.
- 100 Masterpieces of the Print, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1952, no cat.
- Masterpieces from the Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1954, no cat.
- Masterpieces of Graphic Art. From the Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1956, no cat.
- University of Nebraska Art Galleries, Lincoln, NE, 1959, no cat.
- Color in Prints: an Exhibition of European and American Color Prints from 1500 to the Present, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, CT, 1962-1963, no. 8.
- Fifteenth- and Sixteenth-Century Prints from the Rosenwald Collection, Mary Washington College of the University of Virginia, Fredericksburg, VA, 1971, no. 16, repro.
- St. John's College, Santa Fe, NM, 1971, no cat.
- Fifteenth- and Sixteenth-Century Prints of Northern Europe from the National Gallery of Art Rosenwald Collection, Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1973, no. 52.
- The Baroque Woodcut, NGA, 2007 - 2008, no cat.
- The Art of Power: Royal Armor and Portraits from Imperial Spain, NGA, 2009, no. 7, repro.
- Imperial Augsburg: Renaissance Prints and Drawings, 1475 - 1540, NGA, 2012; Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art at the University of Texas at Austin, 2014; Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, 2014, no. 82, repro.
- The Last Knight: The Art, Armor, and Ambition of Maximilian I, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2019-2020.
- Hollstein, F.W.H. et al. German engravings, etchings and woodcuts ca. 1400-1700. 8 vols. Amsterdam: Menno Hertzberger, 1954-1868. Dutch and Flemish etchings, engravings and woodcuts, ca. 1450-1700. Vols. I-XV, XVIII, XIX. Amsterdam: Menno Hertzberger.