lower right, on sheet, in margin outside of plate: Degas [blue-grey signature stamp (Lugt 658)]; on sheet verso, lower left, in graphite: 26941 [encircled]
Marks and Labels
lower right, on mount: [red atelier stamp (Lugt 657)]
Carlton Lake [1915-2006]; (his sale, by Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 28 January 1948, no. 17); purchased by Lessing J. Rosenwald [1891-1979]; gift to NGA, 1948.
- Monotypes by French and American Impressionists, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 1953.
- Marion Koogler McNay Art Institute, San Antonio, TX, 1955, no catalogue.
- Monotypes, Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 1955.
- Prints by the French Impressionists from the Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1956, no catalogue.
- Loan exhibition of Degas for the benefit of the Citizen's Committee for Children of New York, Inc., Wildenstein and Co., New York, 1960, no. 102.
- Dedicatory Art Exhibition for the William Cooper Procter Art Center, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, 1965, no. 25.
- Drawings from the Collection of the National Gallery of Art, NGA, 1966, no catalogue.
- Degas Monotypes, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 1968, no.50, repro.
- An Impressionist View on Paper - from the Lessing Rosenwald Collection of the National Gallery, Washington, D.C, Art Gallery at the University of Notre Dame, 1971, no. 12.
- Degas, 1879, National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1979.
- The Dancer: Degas, Forain, and Toulouse-Lautrec, Portland Art Museum, Oregon, 2008, plate 150.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, The National Art Center, Tokyo, Tokyo; Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, Kyoto, 2011, unnumbered catalogue.
- Janis, Eugenia Parry, compiler. Degas Monotypes; essay, catalogue, and checklist. Cambridge: Fogg Art Museum, 1968.
- Dixon, Annette, et al. The Dancer: Degas, Forain, and Toulouse-Lautrec. Exh. cat. Portland (Oregon) Museum of Art. Portland, 2008: fig. 150.
- Jones, Kimberly A. Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 2010.