Possibly Fletcher family, Asolo, Italy, 18th century. Probably purchased in Italy by Sigmund Pollak, by 1936; sold 1941 to his brother-in-law, Felix Laurence, New York; sold to Dr. and Mrs. George H. Alexander Clowes, Dover, Massachusetts; gift 1948 to NGA.
Associated NamesClowes, George H. Alexander, Dr. and Mrs.
- The Pastoral Landscape: The Legacy of Venice, The National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988-1989, no. 40, fig. 69.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 135.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 121, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 362, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:246-247, 544; 2:pl. 168, 168A, as Attributed to Pietro delgi Ingannati.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 199, no. 235, color repro., as by Venetian School.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 420, repro.