lower left: J.C.Cazin
John W. Simpson [1850-1920], New York. Possibly sold 1908 by (M. Knoedler & Co., New York) to R. Horace Gallatin [1871-1948], New York, in whose collection the painting was by 1941; bequest 1949 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1954-1955.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1967-1971.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 24.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 17, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 58, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 78, repro.