Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
In the summer of 1887 Stieglitz traveled through Italy, stopping in Venice, Chioggia, Pallanza (on Lake Maggiore), Bellagio (on Lake Como), and Riva de Garda (on Lake Garda). This photograph and Key Set numbers
The negative for this image was made using a Steinheil Aplanat 19-inch lens on Perutz’s Orthochromatic plates and developed using oxalate, pyrosoda, hydroquinone, and eikongen (see exh. cat., Fourth Annual Joint Exhibition, New York, 1891).
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 370.1964
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
1888, Vienna (no. 52.a.6, as Genrestudie aus Italien)
1889, Berlin (Special Steinheil Prize)
1890, London, Crystal Palace (no. 836, as A Good Joke)
1891, New York (no. 237, as A Good Joke, aristotype)
1899, New York (no. 22, as A Good Joke, 1887–1889, platinum direct)
1921, New York (no. 1, as My First-Prize Winner, 1887)
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
The Amateur Photographer 7, special number (11 July 1888): frontispiece (ill., A Good Joke)
Photographische Mitteilungen 26 (September 1889): opp. 153 (ill., untitled)
“Alfred Stieglitz and his Latest Work,” The Photographic Times 28: 4 (April 1896): 162 (ill., A Good Joke)
Marmaduke Humphrey, “Triumphs in Amateur Photography,” Godey’s Magazine 135 (December 1897): 590 (ill., A Good Joke)
by Alfred Stieglitz, on mount, upper left verso, in graphite: Exhibition / 1921; left center verso: The Last Joke— / Bellagio 1887
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, lower left verso, in graphite: 60A
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- A Subtle Beauty: Platinum Photographs from the Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2014–2015
- Engelhard, Georgia. "Alfred Stieglitz: 'Father of Modern Photography.'" The Camera 69 (June 1947): 50.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 1.
- Homer, William Innes. Alfred Stieglitz and the Photo-Secession. Boston, 1983: 12.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 33.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: