by Alfred Stieglitz, on backing board, center, in black ink on Collection of Alfred Stieglitz label: Alfred Stieglitz / Carbon / Icy Night—New York / Original 4x5. Made in Winter 1896–1897. One of / the first night photographs made. Only one other / print existing.; upper right typed on Museum of Modern Art sticker: 40.5023 / Stieglitz; center right typed on Philadelphia Museum of Art label: Alfred Stieglitz / Icy Night, New York. Framed gravure [crossed out; carbon added in graphite] / Alfred Stieglitz / 509 Madison Ave., N.Y.C.; center stamped in black ink: An American Place stamp
by later hands, upper center, in graphite, circled: 19; upper right, in red grease pencil: 7-1944-143; left center, in graphite, circled: 19; lower left: 129D
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Stieglitz in the Darkroom, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, October 4, 1992–February 14, 1993
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- In Light of the Past: Celebrating Twenty-Five Years of Collecting Photographs at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, May 3–July 26, 2015
- East of the Mississippi, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans, 2017–2018
- Norman, Dorothy. "Alfred Stieglitz: Visionary Photographer." Art in America 46 (Fall 1958): 53.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 27.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz : The Key Set : The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 257.