Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
- Alfred Stieglitz (editor/publisher) after Various Artists
- Alfred Stieglitz
- Going to the Start
- 1904, printed 1905
- Key Set Number 291
- same negative
On 1 February 1917 Stieglitz wrote to Paul Haviland, “. . . the price for ‘Race Track’ is much more than other gravures because the plate was stolen from Manhattan [Gravure], and there are only 8 to 10 prints” (YCAL).
For more information about this photograph, see Key Set number
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
The Art Institute of Chicago, 1949.841
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, New Haven (inscribed: Alfred Stieglitz / The Race Track, 1902)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 49.55.20
by Alfred Stieglitz, lower right, in graphite: Alfred Stieglitz; on backing board, center, on Collection of Alfred Stieglitz label, in black ink: Alfred Stieglitz / original gravure / proof / Stieglitz Exhibition at Photo-Secession / Gallery, 1913. Also shown at / Albright Gallery, 1910.; center, printed on label: 16. Going to the Post, Morris Park—1904; upper right, typed on Philadelphia Museum of Art label: Alfred Stieglitz / Going to the Post—Morris Park, 1904 / Framed gravure / Alfred Stieglitz / 509 Madison Ave., N.Y.C.; center, stamped in black ink: An American Place stamp
by later hands, upper center, in graphite: 19 [circled]; upper right, in red grease pencil: 7-1944-147; upper right, in graphite: M / 147; left center, in graphite: 18
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- On the Art of Fixing a Shadow: 150 Years of Photography, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, May 7–July 30, 1989; The Art Institute of Chicago, September 16–November 26, 1989; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, December 21, 1989–February 25, 1990
- Intersections: Photographs and Videos from the National Gallery of Art and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2016–2017
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 34.
- Greenough, Sarah, Joel Snyder, David Travis, and Colin Westerbeck. On the Art of Fixing a Shadow: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Photography. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Art Institute of Chicago, 1989: pl. 188.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 292.