by Alfred Stieglitz, on backing board, center verso, on Collection of Alfred Stieglitz label, in black ink: Alfred Stieglitz The Steerage / Original Gravure Proof / Exhibited at the Stieglitz Exhibition / Photo-Secession Gallery, 1913 / Never before publicly exhibited; left center, stamped in black ink: 25635
by later hand, on mount, lower right, in graphite: 3; on backing board, left center verso, in blue pencil: 429
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Stieglitz Exhibition, Photo-Secession Galleries, New York, 1913, no. 21.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, March 16 – April 27, 1958, no. 18c.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, February 3–May 8, 1983, no. 35; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984.
- On the Art of Fixing a Shadow: 150 Years of Photography, National Gallery of Art, Washington, May 7 – July 30, 1989; The Art Institute of Chicago, September 16 – November 26, 1989; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, December 21, 1989 – February 25, 1990.
- Stieglitz in the Darkroom, National Gallery of Art, Washington, October 4, 1992 – February 14, 1993, no. 38.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001, no. 30.
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2002-2003, as The Steerage.
- Camera Work 36 (October 1911): pl. IX.
- Vanity Fair 21 (August 1924): p. 54.
- Frank, Waldo, et al. America and Alfred Stieglitz. New York, 1934: pl. XXVII.B.
- Twice A Year 8/9 (Spring-Summer/Fall-Winter 1942): pp. 127-136.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 35, pl. 18.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Joel Snyder, David Travis, and Colin Westerbeck. On the Art of Fixing a Shadow: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Photography. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art; Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1989, pl. 186.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 30.