Key Set Entry
On 19 February 1924 Stieglitz wrote to J. Dudley Johnston: “My own self-portrait was made 17 years ago” (Royal Photographic Society, Bath, England). This indicates a date of 1907, but he appears older here than in other portraits from 1907 (see Self-Portrait, Key Set number
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
Fisk University, Nashville, and Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, Bentonville, ASC.2012.86
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem (inscribed: Self-Portrait / Alfred Stieglitz / May, 1911. / Please return. / AS.)
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 93.XM.25.38 [gelatin silver]
The Museum of Modern Art, New York, SC 1997.85 [gelatin silver]
The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1980-128-3 [gelatin silver] (inscribed: Alfred Stieglitz)
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
“Most Renowned Pictorialist of America to Lecture at National Convention,” Abel’s Photographic Weekly 9 (22 June 1912): 1006 (ill., Alfred Stieglitz)
“We Nominate for the Hall of Fame,” Vanity Fair 4 (June 1915): 58 (ill., Alfred Stieglitz)
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, lower left verso, in graphite: 85A
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- Intersections: Photographs and Videos from the National Gallery of Art and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2016–2017
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 50, pl. 22.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 1.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 365.