Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
- Alfred Stieglitz
- Brancusi Exhibition at 291
- 1914, printed 1929/1937
- gelatin silver print
- Key Set Number 388
“An Exhibition of Original Sculpture, in Bronze, Marble, and Wood, by Constantin Brancusi, of Paris,” was held at 291 from 12 March to 4 April 1914.
From left to right are: Sleeping Muse, 1910, bronze (The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York); Danaïde, 1910, marble (location unknown); Prodigal Son (The First Step), 1913, oak (body no longer extant, head at Musée National d’Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris); Mademoiselle Pogany, 1912, marble (Philadelphia Museum of Art); Sleeping Muse, 1909–1911, marble (Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington); and Danaïde, c. 1913, partially gilded bronze (private collection).
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
Frank Jewell Mather, Jr., “Photographer and Champion of Art,” The Saturday Review of Literature 11 (8 December 1934): 337 (ill., An Exhibit of Sculpture by Brancusi, Arranged and Photographed by Stieglitz)
by Alfred Stieglitz, on print, center verso, in graphite: Brancusi Exhibition at "291" / 1915
by Georgia O'Keeffe, lower left verso, in graphite: 94 C
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Group Portrait: The First American Avant-Garde, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, DC, May 10–October 27, 1991
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Alfred Stieglitz: The Lake George Years, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 53.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 35.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 387.
- Annear, Judy, ed. Alfred Stieglitz: The Lake George Years. Exh. cat. Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010.