Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
Marsden Hartley sailed from Europe on 11 December 1915, arriving in New York before the end of the year. While Stieglitz could have photographed him immediately on his return, Hartley appears to be standing in front of a mounted photograph, possibly a work by Paul Strand that was exhibited at 291 from 13 March to 3 April 1916.
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
The Art Institute of Chicago, 1949.711
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, New Haven, YCAL MSS 85, box 124, folders 2475, 2476 [gelatin silver] (inscribed: Marsden Hartley 1913 / by Alfred Stieglitz)
Library of Congress, Washington, PH-17 B (inscribed: Marsden Hartley 1915)
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 24.1719 [gelatin silver] (inscribed: Portrait—Marsden Hartley / Photograph by / Alfred Stieglitz / 1916 / negative & print / made by Alfred Stieglitz / Print no. 7 from this negative)
Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1949-18-62 [gelatin silver] (inscribed: “Marsden Hartley” / by Alfred Stieglitz / [Museum of Modern Art label, 42.1689])
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 52.1798 [gelatin silver]
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 75.17.25
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2005.100.290 [gelatin silver]
The Baltimore Museum of Art, 2008.117 [gelatin silver]
The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 366.1966 [gelatin silver]
Spencer Museum of Art, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, 1981.0148 [gelatin silver] (inscribed: Hartley be very careful / Friday will call)
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
Paul Rosenfeld, Port of New York: Essays on Fourteen American Moderns (New York, 1924): 83 (ill., Marsden Hartley)
Katherine Dreier, Modern Art [exh. cat., Société Anonyme] (New York, 1926): 94 (ill., untitled)
Waldo Frank et al., America & Alfred Stieglitz (New York, 1934): pl. 23d (ill., Marsden Hartley, 1915)
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, bottom left verso, in graphite: 31D
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Alfred Stieglitz and His Circle: 1905–1930, Musée d'Orsay, Paris; Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, 2004–2005
- O'Keeffe, Georgia. "Stieglitz: His Pictures Collected Him." New York Times Magazine (11 December 1949): 25.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 58, pl. 24.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 150.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 429.